Plantar Warts - What are they & How to Remove?
By jackbil | On 26/10/2017
Warts that grow on the plantar area of the foot is commonly known as Plantar warts.
These warts are small bump like growths that appears on the weight-bearing part of a foot, especially on a heel. As they grow on weight-bearing areas of the foot, it constantly gets exposed to pressure, which causes them to grow inward underneath the hard layer of skin to form a callus.
As you might know that warts are harmless growths on the skin but plantar warts may cause discomfort as they grow on foot and can trigger pain during walking.
What are the causes of plantar warts?
All warts that grow on our body are caused by an infection of 'Human Papilloma Virus' also known as HPV.
HPV has 100s of strain and can enter skin of humans through tiny cuts and grows there to form a wart. Plantar warts are usually harmless and go away with time but it might take few years for them to disappear by their own.
So, it is advised to take treatment to remove them to ease the discomfort.
Plantar Warts - Sign & Symptoms
- Small fleshy growth on the plantar area. Especially on the heel and base of toes.
- Hard, well-defined patch of skin where one can easily see that warts are grown inwards.
- Black pinpoints - These are the small blood vessels that are clotted and these lesions are known as wart seeds.
- Pain and tenderness - Sometime wart may trigger pain during standing or walking.
How to Prevent Plantar Warts?
Warts are caused by infection HPV and usually indicates the weak immunity.
To prevent warts, try to avoid touching the warts of others. Keep your feet dry and clean. Wash them every time you walk barefoot in the grass or wear dirty socks.
Do not share nail clippers with others and pay attention to the hygiene of foot. Also, pay attention to increase an immunity by eating healthy and forming healthy habits.
How to Treat Plantar Warts?
There are several treatment options are available today to treat warts effectively.
One can treat them using over-the-counter medication like wartrol wart remover or can use home remedies to get rid of them easily.
1. Salicyic Acid OTC medicines - Salicylic acid causes keratolysis and dissolve warts over the period of few weeks. OTC medicines like wartrol use Salicylic acid as the active ingredient to combat warts.
2. Crytherapy - This includes applying liquid nitrogen to warts to freeze them down. This procedure can be carried out by visiting a dermatologist. Applying iquid nitrogen causes inflammation of the skin around the wart and eventually, wart falls out.
3. Surgical wart removal - Doctor can cauterise your wart can manually remove them surgically.
4. Home remedies for warts - There are several home remedies available to treat the wart but most people claim that use of duct tape is an effective method to treat wart.